Monday, January 26, 2009

Day 2

January 26, 2009 - I woke up feeling a little better than yesterday but still didn't have the appetite to eat. I also observed some little red bumps on my shoulders and the back of my ear. As I didn't know what those blisters were, I rubbed some bath salt over them. (Big mistake!) My head is still itchy and I think I have pricked the bumps. Arrrrgh! I know I shouldn't have done it but blimey I have long nails. I went to the bank with my sister and then shopped again after. I was able to eat lunch at almost 3PM already. After lunch, I started feeling nauseaus again and I didn't want to hear loud music or didn't want to see many people. So, I asked my sister to stop shopping for now and decided to go home. When we reached home, I lounged in my bed wearing just my undergarment for about 2 hours and rested and I observed that the rashes started to multiply. I then went to the shower and washed myself up only to find more red bumps from knee up. We initially suspected it could be measles. I then decided that I need to be checked by a physician and so we went to Makati Medical Center. I was diagnosed by the attending physician in the ER to have chicken pox caused by the varicella zoster virus. I then thought of the possible reason why I had it and it dawned on me that one of the managers at work had chicken pox a few weeks back.

So I guess this is it. After 26 years believing that I could never get infected and that I am superbly healthy, here I am with maybe at least 50 blisters all over my body. I was advised to take ACYCLOVIR 800mg 5x a day to alleviate the effects of the virus, EBASTINE 10mg once a day to lessen the itchiness and TYLENOL 650mg every 4 hours for the fever. I currently have 37.8C temperature. I was also advised by the doctor to avoid getting near someone pregnant.

Yes, I do have the virus now. Who knows who could have I infected already. But one good thing about this happening now is I would not run the risk of acquiring it when I am pregnant myself. Thank heavens! I hope and pray that I will feel better and that I won't have multiple scars. And oh, the nails are short now...

1 comment:

Tintin said...

Hi Kess
I've read your blog and was also browsing in the internet. On a German site which is hosted by doctors I've read that using lotion can cause secondary infection. So they don't suggest using it. Also using TYLENOL is not doing much good to your body, as fever is a natural reaction of the body it shouldn't be suppressed by taking such strong medicines.
Combined with ACYCLOVIR it is also a big stress for your kidney. I suggest just let it heal. Even ACYCLOVIR is not necessarily useful.
Save your money and invest it in ice cream when you're well again;-)
Get well soon;-)
Tintin & Gerald;-)

Post a Comment